Don’t leave your ‘home alone’:stop the Grinch from stealing Christmas cheer
20 December 2018
Households are being encouraged to stay safe over the festive period, after a 13% increase in burglary claims between summer and winter months last year, according to Halifax Home Insurance data*.
A total of 6,472 claims were received over the year, with burglaries based on force accounting for 5,188 claims, versus 1,284 claims for unforced burglary.
Tim Downes, Senior Claims Manager, Halifax Home Insurance, said: “With the festive season in full swing and Christmas round the corner, empty homes full of gifts provide the perfect opportunity for burglars to scoop up some last-minute steals.
“Taking a few simple steps to protect your property can help homeowners stay safer over Christmas, and focus on enjoying the season’s celebrations.”
Top tips from Halifax Home Insurance to protect your home this Christmas:
Don’t leave presents under the tree – particularly if visible from windows or doors. This could attract burglars to come into your home.
Dispose of present packaging carefully. Empty boxes outside your home are a sign of new purchases.
- Before wrapping presents jot down model and serial numbers. Keep your receipts as proof of purchase in case you need to make a claim.
- Think twice about where your deliveries are made. Have them delivered to a safe place or make use of collection points.
- Think about installing timers on your lights. This will help create the impression that someone is at home.
- Make sure that all doors and windows are locked before leaving home. Don’t forget about any windows that have wires running out of them for Christmas decorations.
Think twice before uploading pictures of yourself on social media when enjoying festive activities. Consider how much information you want to share about where you are.
Cancel all deliveries if you’re going away. Think about asking someone to check in on your home while on holiday.
- ENDS -
* Based on Halifax Home Insurance in-house claims data between January-December 2017. Summer months are June-August inclusive. Winter months are October-December inclusive.